Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thoughts on Motherhood


Happy Mother's Day!

Yesterday my dad pointed out a question, "Where would Jesus be without his mother?" We can tend to focus on Jesus as the Son of God, but what about Jesus as the son of Mary?  Mary was an amazing woman who was chosen by God for a purpose.  She was highly favored of God and called blessed among women.  When Mary heard what the angels told the shepherds:

"Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." - Luke 2:10-14

She "kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." - Luke 2:19

Again, when Jesus was older, he stayed behind in Jerusalem after a feast.  His parents couldn't find him and freaked out (I am taking liberties with the text a little).  "And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.  And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.  And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.  And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?  And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.  And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart." - Luke 2:46-51

Being a mom is more than giving birth and no one knows that more than someone who is adopted.  My parents adopted me when I was about a month old.  My mom has always shown me love and has never made me feel like I am not her flesh and blood, even though I'm not biologically her own.  She is the one who changed my diapers and comforted me in the middle of the night.  She taught me how to read.  My mom chose to homeschool me.  Every child knows the sacrifices a mom makes for her children.  I love you mom! Thank you for raising me to be the woman I am today.

The above photograph is not my own, it is from a collection I purchased the rights to use.
Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com