Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Questions about Reading


A few people in my subscription box have taken this quiz about their reading habits.

Do you snack while you read?

Sometimes.  If I am reading at my leisure, I do not usually eat while I read, but if I am at work, I will read while on my lunch hour.

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Water is my favorite drink, but I also drink tea.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

The idea of writing in a book irks me.  If someone else wants to mark their book, so be it.  I like my books to remain clean.  I will have a notebook with me while I read some books, because I like to write down quotes or concepts I would like to explore.

How do you keep your place while reading a book?

Haha, whatever is handy.  Bookmarks are one of my favorite things...  Unfortunately, I am always grabbing a book to read and leaving the bookmarks behind.  This leads me to use receipts, napkins, scraps of paper or when worse comes to worse, I remember the page number, which leads me to the next question.

Are you the type of person who tends to read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

When I am reading on my own time, I like to finish the chapter, but if I am at work, then I have to stop where I am to clock back in on time.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or onto the floor if the author irritates you?

There was one book that I did throw across the room, as a child.  I do not remember the title or even what made me so upset.  This did not happen again.  Books are precious.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you look it up right away?

While I am a good judge of a word by its context, it depends on the word.

What are you currently reading?

Jurassic Park

What is the last book you bought?

I bought some books for my mom at Barnes and Noble and cannot reveal my purchases in case she reads this post.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

My favorite time to read is when I am alone with no distractions.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

My favorite books have been stand alone, but I do enjoy a series now and again.  I loved the Graceling series by Kristen Cashore.  If a series continue too long, I do tend to lose interest.

Is there a specific book you find yourself recommending over and over?

Besides the Bible?  1984 by George Orwell.  The book changed my life.  He wrote the book in 1941 about a futuristic world with government surveillance and control.

How do you organize your books?

My bookshelf is usually divided into categories and from there by size and author.  It is a mess right now, because I am running out of room!

What is your all-time favorite book?

The Bible.

Thanks Kelli, for sharing this fun survey with us.

The above photo is not my own, it is from a collection I purchased the rights to use.
Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com