Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

May Resolutions Recap


My spiritual resolution for the month of May was to focus on the Fruit of the Spirit Meekness.  While it is tempting to give in to anger and pride, life is sweeter when we have a mild and humble attitude.

My mental resolution for the month was to finish Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain, and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.  Unfortunately, I had to return Ender's Game before I could finish it.  Luckily, I have already read it and the movie does not come out until November.  I am excited to see if they stuck to the original plot, how the director translates the battles scenes from the movie, and how they include the fantasy simulation game.  At first I was skeptical of the actor they chose to play Ender, but after seeing the trailer I am stoked!

Jurassic Park was incredible, much better than the movie.  It was a fast read for me and left me craving more.

Quiet by Susan Cain is amazing.  Her work is brilliant and she has a TED Talk.  I highly recommend them to anyone who believe themselves to be an introvert or even to extroverts who want to understand the introverts in their life. She explains how American society embraces the extroverted, from childhood into adulthood.  When I shared some excerpts from the book with my mom (an introvert herself), she mentioned the challenges of raising an introvert when society pushes extroversion.  Many people judge introverts because they choose to be silent and observe, before interacting with others.  This is seen as a negative attribute.

Susan Cain's research opened my eyes to the plight of introverts in our current work environment.  Introversion is looked down upon and extroverts are favored more for promotions.  Many jobs require individuals to be "all types at all times", meaning introverts are expected to speak in large groups and be "social" from 9-5, while extroverts are required to spend time at a desk alone from 9-5 and sell to one person.  I put the word social in quotes, because this is an erroneous belief about introverts, that we are merely anti-social and shy.  Introversion and extroversion are ways to describe desired energy sources.  Introverts are recharged by being alone and crave interaction one on one or in small groups.  Extroverts are energized by spending time with others (a lot of others). Whereas an introvert never feels truly alone unless they are by themselves, extroverts can feel alone with one other person present, not a bad thing!

My emotional resolution was to practice gratitude.  Being thankful brings peace and clarity to life.  While I did forget a few nights to set aside time to pray my gratitude, I did wake up in the middle of the night and remember.  Throughout the day, I would do my best to adopt a thankful attitude and did see an improvement in my mood.

My physical resolution was to walk and take a hike.  My family and I went for a walk on Memorial Day to Cohoes Falls.  I forgot my camera, which is too bad, because the falls were beautiful.  It had rained pretty heavily the days before, so the Falls were full, haha. Also, I've been doing Just Dance 3 a lot.  My daily movement has increased.

My Bonus Resolution was to stick to a grocery budget, which is easier said than done. This is going to be a continued work in progress.

I'm excited to begin June's resolutions!  The idea for monthly resolutions comes from Kelli. She writes a blog called She Learns As She Goes.  She is also a member of the Youtube channel Blimey Cow.  Visit her site and watch Blimey Cow's videos.  They bring humor to truth.

This is their latest video:

Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com