Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

PAX East 2013 Boston


This past weekend was PAX East.  Joe and his friends drove over Thursday night, but a friend and I couldn't request off both our jobs (especially since she just started her new job), so we took Amtrak Saturday.

We boarded our train and discovered the seating was assigned, which was a disappointment.  When Joe and his friend went last year, it was unassigned seating.  They could choose their seats.  Since it was a full train to Boston, we had to sit apart.  We should have booked our tickets together.  Live and learn!  My friend sat next to a man writing a novel and watching anime.  My experience was a tad different.  The lady directly next to me was asleep with the curtain drawn so I couldn't look out the window, which was fine.  Across the aisle to my left however, two teenagers were profusely making out and causing a scene.  Yes, I say a scene, because my friend noticed guys further up the train turning around in their seats to gawk.  It was awkward.  Finally, many people got off at the Springfield stop.  We switched seats which confused the ticket lady.  I don't know her title. She was the one in charge of seating. We ended up arriving in Boston an hour early. Our men picked us up and we checked into the hotel room at the Renaissance.  It was a nice hotel.  Nothing stood out to me.  I was afraid to touch any of the things in our room, because there was confusion if they were complimentary or not.  The bathroom did not have a fan, which threw me for a loop.  Since there were four of us in there, I ran the sink while "using the facilities".  Looking back, the tub would have been louder...

We (seven of us in all) had dinner at Morton's.  It was Restaurant Week in Boston, so I had a three course meal.  I ordered a Caesar Salad, Chicken Christopher with a side of mashed potatoes, and Double Chocolate Mousse for dessert.  Joe let me try a bite of his steak.  Normally, I am not a huge steak fan, especially if there is any color in it, but it was delicious!  It was definitely pink inside, but the flavor was amazing.  Next time, I would like to try their steak.

We fell asleep to Jim Gaffigan's Mr. Universe.  (Sorry, Matt)

In the morning, Joe and I walked around Boston to get tea and hot chocolate at Dunkin (I know!  How unoriginal, but at least it wasn't Starbuck's, which closes on the weekend in Boston).  We walked around the convention center before the crowd's began to swarm. We met an Enforcer (one of the volunteers).  Then we went back, checked out of the hotel, and walked over to the convention center to begin our day.



The calm before the storm.



The line grew massive as the morning continued.


We were handed tons of free paper and tsatskas.  I bought my sister some cartridges for her Game Boy.  We saw some very cool game tables from Geek Chic.  Here is an example of what they produce.

http://www.geekchichq.com/furniture/rift/

Mayfair Games had an exhibit.  Don't Starve had a booth in the indie gamer section. There were a lot of games I had never heard of before attending PAX East, but am very interested in now.  A few games which I am looking forward to:

Trial of the Clone
Girls Like Robots
Monster Loves You
Wildstar
Lords of New York
Journal

There were a few raffles for things like computers and game packs.  We entered three or four, but didn't win.  It's understood with so many people the chances of winning are slim. There was a slight kerfuffle at one raffle between two people, but security was right there and their presence dissolved the situation.  All in all, the people who attended seemed to be pretty cool, chill people.

The one thing which disappointed me greatly is there did not seem to be a strong celebrity or Youtube presence.  Maybe I missed them by only attending Sunday?  Maybe they are waiting for PAX Prime in Seattle?  I brought black and silver Sharpie's but did not use a single one.  It disappointed me greatly to not meet Day9.

We had lunch at Legal Sea Food Harborside where I ordered their Crispy Fried Shrimp.  It was pretty good, but did not compare to the Morton's dinner we had the previous night. Apparently the Morton's experience can spoil the taste buds of a person.


After lunch, we strolled around a bit.  My friend, her husband, and I walked through the table top area a bit more.  She bought a Doctor Who game, which I hope I'm invited to play in the future. *hint hint* In a choice between the 10th and 11th Doctor displayed on the cover, she made the wise choice of choosing the 10th Doctor, David Tennant.

We left around 6 o'clock and drove home.  Overall, it was a great experience.  Now, I have the song, "Boston" by Augustana stuck in my head, so I think I'll share with you.



This sculpture was too weird to not post a picture.
Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com