Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Wanting to be an Outlier...




I joined a book club!  50 Books in 52 Weeks, but I'm adding two more to make it 52 Books in a Year.  I'm using Goodreads to help me keep track.  I'm very excited!

The first book we read was Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.  The first paragraph had me hooked.  There are many ideas which challenge the idea of success.  We are not merely self-made men and women.  We are in part victims of circumstance and opportunity.  The book had me a little depressed until the section about 10,000 hours.  Essentially, if you have 10,000 hours of experience at any one thing, you will be successful at it.  The author highlights several people who we suppose were geniuses because of their innate talent. But no, time and time again, those very famous successful people had 10,000+ hours of practice and experience before they made it big.

This started my brain thinking on what activities I have done for 10,000+ hours.  The only thing I came up  with is reading. I don't know what that means for me, except that I read very fast and can give anyone a summary with highlights and any negative feedback I have to give with suggestions of how to make it better.  Guess I could be a book reviewer? I am going to give my opinion on the books in the Book Club, so maybe this is a start?

As a side note, I have stuck to the weight routine for four days!

If you are interested in joining the book club, here is the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/93446-the-defranco-book-club

One nice thing about Goodreads, it connects to your Facebook for an easy log in and let's your friends know what you are reading.  Unless you want it kept a secret...

The next book in the series is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

What books are you reading?
Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com