Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Day of Thanks


Yes, I did fall off the face of the earth for a little while.  It feels like forever since I've written a blog post, even though the last one dated was only a week ago.

Today is Thanksgiving and of course, everyone is getting into the spirit of the holiday and expressing their thanks and gratitude.  I am no exception to the rule.

Many people do not know the story of how Thanksgiving came to be a national holiday.  It did not happen until the year 1864 under President Lincoln.  To read more about the holiday's origins I recommend the following links:

http://www.pbs.org/food/the-history-kitchen/thanksgiving-lincoln-and-pumpkin-pudding/

http://thehistorykitchen.com/2012/11/14/apple-pudding-a-recipe-from-the-mother-of-thanksgiving/

Things for which I am grateful for this year:

Family:  My family has influenced a lot of who I am and how I act.  Yes, I am a firm believer in nurture, though I acknowledge there is a balance in the whole nature vs nurture debate.

Friends:  Some friends are family.  You know who you are in my life. ;)

Pets:  Clorox, Wuss, Ezekiel, and Riley, the latest addition to the clan.

Jobs:  I am an employee at two jobs, when some people cannot find employment.

Music:  Music is such an inspiration to me.  I do not know where I would be in life without music.  Even though my voice is not perfect and my instrumental abilities are mediocre, music is an outlet, a form of expression.  Rhythm and rhyme are important to my life.

Crafts:  Arts and crafts are fun and a way to make gifts for people.  If only I could get better at mailing them...they literally sit in their packaging waiting for me to send.  Making something from scratch is way to show people they are important to me.

Food:  Another artistic expression!  Also, a life sustaining force.  Food is nourishment and fun.  All the food groups appeal to me, especially chocolate!

Technology:  Where would we be in life without computers?  Outside?  Using our brains more?  Physically moving?  Interacting with our neighbors?  Spending more time making healthy meals?  Interacting with our families?  Where would be in life without indoor plumbing?  That's a better question.  Where would we be without the wheel?  Where would we be without electricity?  Oh wait, we'd be sleeping more.

Days of Remembrance:  I, for one, I am thankful for days set aside for a purpose.  Today, I did not have to work at my retail jobs.  Today, I had a special dinner with my family.  While I understand some professions have to work, I do hope they can set aside another day for family and remembrance.

I am thankful for many more things, specific to my life and general to all mankind, but now it is time to rest after a day well spent.

You will see more blog posts from me in the future.

*I do not own the above image.  It is part of a collection I purchased the rights to use.
Sarah is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com